Hello again crafty friends! Today I am finally back on the blog sharing the finished junk journal using the Blue Fern Studios Jane’s Memoirs Bundle from FotoBella . I didn’t anticipate taking so long to create this album. Just kept adding and adding to it and had to finally just say “STOP”!
I had created very small junk journals in the past and didn’t think it would be much of a challenge to create a larger one. I did however start thinking that this really is not for a beginner to take on but if you are determined just like I am, I say “Go for it”!
Blue Fern Studios Supplies
Before I began, I knew that I would be making a Fabric and Paper Junk Journal using the Blue Fern Studios Jane’s Memoirs Collection that I was sent from Fotobella. If you saw my first post, I shared how I gathered up some of the papers, ephemera, and other items. I then coffee and tea dyed these items.
I began by ironing the muslin fabric. Secondly, I used some sewing chalk to mark where I would cut 3 pages. Each of them, measuring 8 X 10 in size. Yes, this is a pretty large junk journal overall. I, then thought I would follow the same concept as making a cover page for a paper album in which you can find a lot of tutorials on YouTube if you aren’t familiar with that.
Before adhering the cut corner of the base pages I ironed them again this time using Faultless Spray Starch.
I used Helmar Fabric glue to adhere the cut edges. I, then used Helmar Quilting Basting Spray to temporarily hold the inner fabrics to the base so I can sew them later.
The next step I did was making the pages for my album. I had already decided on using a vintage photo album that I had found at a thrift store some years back.
This project was perfect for it. I used the entire album including the cover but that was more like a gothic cover. But, I did end up cutting up the book itself. I only used a few pages from that to adhere to papers from the Blue Fern Studios Collection.
I also left some blank and added some photos into the frames that were already on the pages. The way that I added these book pages is that I began by cutting some pieces of muslin into 2.5 X 11 strips, I adhered them to the book pages leaving a small area which will be adhered to the muslin piece that will be my “spine”. This was a bit of a challenge, because my paper signatures would be going in between some of these book pages. So I had to leave enough room for those and make sure they weren’t too thick either.
Then, I sewed my signatures, you can find tons of tutorials on Youtube for these as well. Just use one that you are comfortable using and easy to understand. Once I had them done, I did the same with the signatures using muslin strips this way I can adhere them in between the book pages I had already adhered to the muslin piece that will basically be the “spine”.
*Please note that before adhering the pages onto the fabric pages, I sewed the fabric pages down the center of the main cover page. I had already added paper from the collection to some of the fabric pages. I also forgot to mention that I used Tim Holtz Distress Ink In Tea Dye to distress every page on this album.*
Once I was done doing this, I began embellishing the pages. I used some of the ephemera from the collection that was left over and used some on the pages of the signatures as well. As well as adding more stamping using both of the stamps from the bundle also. In my junk journal I created many tuck spots and left areas to journal blank. It was hard to cut into the papers since they are all so beautiful.
For the cover page, I covered up the muslin by adding some beautiful vintage lace. I had bought at a consignment shop along with the lace and trim that is around the entire edge of the album. I used some of the paper flowers that came in the Blue Fern Studios Collection bundle and also the chipboard for the cover. The tassel used on the spine was from some curtains that I was no longer using. This looked great I thought!
Anyhow crafty friends here I am posting the rest of the junk journal in this photo video I created. I also will be uploading a full video where I do a flip thru of the pages which include the signatures that I didn’t photograph only the cover of them because that would have been too much photos. Plus I wanted to do a video explaining in better detail how I created this junk journal.
Well crafty friend I hope that you like what I created this month. I apologize it took me so long to create. I was well over my head but knew I wanted to create this! Thank you for taking the time to read my post! Till next time!
Products used from Fotobella online store: